Glee Club Constitution
- Sterling Morton High School
Preamble: The students of J. Sterling Morton High School do hereby establish the Glee Club and ordain this constitution with the following objectives in mind:
(a) Develop a background in music and musicianship for students that prepare them for a wide range of further educational and vocational activities that include music as a component.
(b) Promote an appreciation for the fine arts.
(c) Reflect a positive image of J. Sterling Morton District 201 High Schools.
(d) Enrich the school and community through pop culture and the performing arts.
ARTICLE I. MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: Application for membership into the Glee Club is open to any student currently enrolled in J. Sterling Morton District 201 High Schools.
Section 2: Any member may be dismissed from the Glee Club because of misconduct, failure to meet his responsibilities to the club, or for being absent from more than 5 meetings and/or activities. An acceptable excuse must be furnished to the secretary for an absence.
Section 3: A member may be expelled from this club by a vote of the two-thirds majority of the club.
ARTICLE II. OFFICERS
Section 1: The Glee Club shall have the following officers:
- President, who shall be responsible for
- Presiding over all meetings;
- Heading all standing and special committees;
- Lead rehearsals and performances in the absence of the advisor
- Vice-President, who shall be responsible for
- All that the President is responsible for when the President is absent or unable to take part in the activities.
- Take attendance at all meetings;
- Secretary, who shall be responsible for
- Any correspondence determined necessary to maintain adequate communication with the membership, school administration, Student Council, or any other agency.
- Recording the minutes of all regular and/or committee meetings.
- To furnish a copy of the semester report to Glee Club.
- Treasurer, who shall be responsible for
- Collecting, depositing, and accounting of all the Glee Club funds;
- Presenting a financial report at all regular meetings;
- Submitting all invoices to the membership and to advisor for their approval for their acknowledge before payment;
- Recording all financial business in the record book distributed by the Glee Club.
Section 2: The above officers shall compose the Executive Board.
Section 3: Each officer shall maintain his duties to the fullest extent in accordance with the rules of the Student Council and the rules of the school.
Section 4: The Election Day of officers shall be the third club meeting of each school year.
Section 5: Members must either have one year of experience in Glee Club or have been enrolled in the Choir or Advanced Vocal Ensemble course for one year. Special exceptions may be made at the discretion of the advisor.
Section 6: Members will be elected to office by a simple majority vote.
Section 7: All officers shall assume the duties of their respective offices when so designated by the organization.
Section 8: The term of office shall be one year.
ARTICLE III Meetings
Section 1: Meetings for the Glee Club will primarily be to prepare for performance. Time will also be allotted for business when necessary.
Section 2: Meeting Times:
- Tuesdays 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Additional rehearsals/sectionals/performances will be announced by the advisor
Section 3: Membership will be suspended after more than 5 unexcused absences. Readmission will be considered at the discretion of the executive board.
ARTICLE IV USE OF FINANCES
Section 1: Any money collected by the Glee Club must be handled in accordance with the Student Council and school rules.
Section 2: The Glee Club may spend money with the membership and advisor’s approval only for the following purposes;
- To cover the normal operating expenses of the Glee Club
- To promote the objectives of the Glee Club.
- All other projects (expenses) should be approved by the administration and Glee Club.
ARTICLE V SPECIAL COMMITTEES
Section 1: Special committees may be established or dissolved by the Executive Board or the club advisor.
BY-LAWS THE CONSTITUTION
Section 1: A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the membership of the club. No business can be transacted if a quorum is not present.
Section 1: The Constitution and By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of a quorum and/or of the membership.
Section 1: The actions of this club are subject to the approval of school administration and the faculty advisor.
- STERLING MORTON HIGH SCHOOL
STUDENT ACTIVITIES OFFICE
This Certifies that
The Glee Club
Morton High School has received
Its charter for the school year
and is extended the rights, privileges,
and responsibilities that any
chartered extra-curricular organization may hold.
THE CLUB MAY……..
- Request calendar dates for activities
- Meet in the school
- Participate in school activities
- Appear in yearbook and newspaper
- Maintain an activity account
- Keep and save minutes
Signature of the Director of Students Activities