Constitution of the SHARKS Club at J. Sterling Morton East High School
Preamble: The students of J. Sterling Morton High School do hereby establish the Morton SHARKS Club and ordain this constitution with the following objectives in mind:
Article I Objectives a. To educate and raise awareness to the student body, faculty and community about issues concerning treatment of animals and animal rights.
- Collect donations and fundraise for local and global animal rights groups, organizations and shelters.
- Be leaders in animal right activism and make change happen within the school and community.
Article II Membership
Application for membership into SHARKS Club is open to all students at Morton East.
Any member may be dismissed from the SHARKS Club because of misconduct, failure to meet his/her responsibilities to the club, or for being absent from more than 5 meetings and/or activities. An acceptable excuse must be furnished to the secretary for an absence.
A member may be expelled from this club by a vote of two-thirds majority of the club.
Article III Officers
SHARKS shall have the following officers:
- President, who shall be responsible for
- Presiding over all meetings;
- Heading all standing and special committees;
- Communicate and discuss ideas with club sponsor
- Vice-President, who shall be responsible for
- All that the president is responsible for when the president is absent or unable to take part in activities.
- Take attendance at meetings
- Aid president when needed
- Secretary, who shall be responsible for
- Any correspondence determined necessary to maintain adequate communication with the membership, school administration, student council, or any other agency.
- Recording the minutes of all regular and/or committee meetings
- To furnish a copy of the SEMESTER REPORT to CLUB COMMITTEE.
- Treasurer, who shall be responsible for
- Collecting, depositing, and accounting of all the SHARKS funds
- Presenting a financial report at all regular meetings
- Submitting all invoices to the membership and to advisor for their approval before payment
- Recording all financial business in the record book
- The above officers shall compose the Executive Board.
- Each officer shall maintain his duties to the fullest extent in accordance with the rules of the Student Council and the rules of the school.
- Election day of officers.
- Qualification of officers.
- Procedure of voting.
- All officers shall assume the duties of their respective offices when so designated by the organization.
- The term of office should be one year.
Article IV Committees TBD
Article V Meetings
- Purpose of the meetings is to discuss the objectives and goals set forth by the club and organize fundraising events, field trips, and activism among club members.
- Meetings will be weekly on Tuesdays after school.
- All members are required to attend weekly meetings. Vice President is in charge of keeping track of attendance.
- If a member repeatedly misses meetings and/or events they will be dismissed from the club.
Article VI Finances
- SHARKS is a non for profit club. All fundraising and donations will be given back to the community or organizations. Any money collected by SHARKS will be handled in accordance with the Student Council and school rules.
- Methods of building treasury will primarily be through fundraising and donations. SHARKS may spend money with the memberships and advisor’s approval only for the following purposes;
- To cover the normal operating expenses of SHARKS Club.
- To promote the objectives of the SHARKS Club.
- All other projects (expenses) should be approved by the administration and Club Committee.
Article VII Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order Revised shall govern all meetings of the SHARKS Club in all cases to which they are applicable and consistent with this constitution and its by-laws.
The actions of this club are subject to approval of school administration and the faculty advisor.