Morton East High School
Dedicated To Excellence In Education
- Morton East High School
In the 50's, a major reconstrution began at the school. In 1952, a four-story wing sprouted which included 2 gymnasiums, a work out room, and auto mechanics lab, a green house, 2 libraries, a band room, a carpenter shop, a typesetting room, and over 100 classrooms were added. The expansion was not only in response to the increase in student population, which had already prompted preparations for building a second school, but that the older buildings were considered a safety hazard.
1950 State Soccer Champions.
1950 Boys Basketball on the stage.
1951 Machine shop
1951 Library in room 200.
In 1952, 35 acres of land in an “L” shape (Gage Farm) were bought east of Harlem Ave.
In 1953, Athletic area was built at Harlem Avenue.
In 1954, Hoffman stadium opened.
1954 The Cafeteria Lunch Ladies.
1955 The library was in room 200.
By the spring of 1956, construction had begun on what was to become Morton West High School. The school would open in 1958 reducing the population congestion in the school. The graduation of the class of 1956 included a commencement address by the visiting mayor of Kansas City, Missouri, Harold Roe Bartle.
Intricate mechanisms such as Lino-type machines exhibit the progress made in the printing industry since the invention of movable type by Guttenberg. The boys in the print shop learn to operate these and various types of printing presses.
Some of the class of 1958 at their reunion tour 9/19/15
In 1958 Morton West opened.
J.Sterling Morton West was designed to house about 2,400 students. It is a 2 story, campus style building boasting 4 wings located at 2400 Home Avenue, Berwyn. Ridgeland avenue is the dividing line for the two schools districts. Students living to the east of Ridgeland avenue, attend Morton East. The cost of the construction was $7,254,000.
Boys Basketball is now played at Morton West.